Monday, August 25, 2014

Day 2, Astoria to Portland



It has been a long time since I rode a 100 miles in a day. The last time was 1993. It was the month of June. I had just finished medical school. I studied in a city called Jamnagar in the state of Gujarat in India. I rode from Jamnagar to my home city of Ahmedabad, a distance of 319 km. The first day I rode 194 km and the second day I rode 125 km. And now, 31 years later I get the opportunity to ride 100 miles in a day. I'm unable to upload the Garmin GPS data successfully. The summary of the ride is as follows: Total distance was 100 miles, the time taken was 9 hours and 18 minutes with an average speed of 10.73 miles per hour, maximum speed of 35.34 miles per hour, total calories burned were 5702, the ascent was 3619 feet. I am exhausted and the moment my head hits the pillow I will be in deep slumber. The first half of the ride today was exhilarating. We traveled through the coastal area first. The early morning fog had rolled onto the mainland from the ocean. It was damp and cold. Traveling through the rain forest with streams flowing by was very soothing. Once we got near Portland, the chaotic traffic took away from the enjoyment. I was able to relax in a hot tub and do a few laps of the pool at the Marriott. Later, the group went out for a nice dinner. I'm now getting this post ready. As soon as I am done, I plan on going to bed. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's ride which will be from Portland to Hood River, the home of Scott Woolums, my Mt. Everest guide. The distance is roughly 75 miles and we will be traveling along the Columbia River gorge with some very scenic waterfalls. I will post pictures tomorrow. The pictures above are: a view of the mighty Columbia meeting the Pacific ocean, the roadside water and food service our guides provide through the day and the last one is me unwinding in my room at the end of the grueling day.

No comments:

Post a Comment