Friday, October 3, 2014

Day 41, Speculator, NY to Ticonderoga, NY

Today I rode 72.69 miles with 3,077 ft. of elevation gain. After having done 7 century rides in a row, today seemed like a rest day. I was on the saddle for less than 5 hours and my rear side was very thankful for it. I rode through familiar territory as I negotiated my way from Speculator to Ticonderoga. Views of Lake George, nicknamed the Queen of American Lakes at Hague, NY were outstanding.
I had to stop and take a photo of this tree along the shores of Brant Lake. Since the mid-1880s, Brant Lake has been a popular fishing and hunting area among wealthy visitors including Theodore Roosevelt. Around 1900, several hotels began catering to these wealthy visitors. Summer camps for youth were established around the same time. The seat of town government is today located in the hamlet. 
Scott, my guide must have said something funny that made me laugh as he snapped up this picture at mile marker 57 today. That was at the top of the final climb of the day.
Ticonderoga is a town in Essex County, New York, USA. The population was 5,042 at the 2010 census. The name comes from the Mohawk tekontaró:ken, meaning "it is at the junction of two waterways". The town of Ticonderoga is in the southeastern part of the county and is south of Plattsburgh. The town borders both north end of Lake George and south end of Lake Champlain. The short, but rapidly flowing, La Chute River connects the two lakes. The east town line is the border of Vermont, and the south town line is the county line of Warren County and Washington County.
We ate dinner at the Burgoyne Grill in the Best Western Plus hotel we are staying at. This framed poster was facing me as I sat down to eat my dinner. I thought it would be a fitting end to my today’s blog so here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment