Monday, October 6, 2014

Day 43, Fairlee, VT to North Conway, NH

Today was the penultimate day. I rode 77.60 miles from Fairlee, VT to North Conway, NH. There was 5,535 ft. of climbing involved as we traveled through the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I touched a maximum speed of 42.2 mph on the steep descent after Kancamagus Pass. I was sad that the journey is coming to an end. I thought that if I pedaled slower than usual, I could make it last a little longer. I know it is not logical thinking but to my brain experiencing emotional overload it felt right.
1.1 mile after the start today, we came to the New Hampshire State Line.
I crossed the Connecticut River which is the longest river in the New England region of the United States.
The White Mountains are a mountain range covering about a quarter of the state of New Hampshire and a small portion of western Maine in the United States.
Fall is beautiful here in the White Mountain National Forest - the weather is perfect and the air is crisp.
New Hampshire Route 112 (abbreviated NH 112) is a 56.39-mile-long (90.75 km) east–west state highway in northern New Hampshire. The highway winds across the state, connecting Bath to Conway via the scenic and mountainous area of the White Mountain National Forest. Part of this highway, which runs through the White Mountains, is known as the Kancamagus Highway. This highway is known for its views of autumn foliage and is a popular drive in September and October for so-called leaf peeping tourism. Riding today was more dangerous than usual due to the thousands of vehicles driven by the “leaf-peepers”.
One of the rituals at the end of the ride for me is a long soak in a hot tub/whirlpool. This takes away all the fatigue from my body and gets me prepared for the next day’s ride.
I alternate sitting in the whirlpool and doing laps in the swimming pool. Sheree took this picture to capture the very impressive tan lines on my arms. I have similar tan lines on my thighs too. 

Tomorrow is the final day. We will ride into Portland, Maine and complete our Portland to Portland cross country bicycle journey. I have mixed emotions. I am glad that it is coming to a safe end with so many fond memories and I am sad that I will have to part from my “family” of fellow riders and guides. I know not why I shed these tears for they were "strangers" just a mere 44 days ago but now they tug at my heart with such force and arouse such passion that I am an emotional wreck.

“Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” ― Khalil Gibran


No comments:

Post a Comment