Monday, September 1, 2014

Day 8, Kooskia, Idaho to Lolo, Montana

Today was a “Wow” day from the start to the end. We checked out of these beautiful log cabins in Kooskia (pronounced by locals as Kooskee). I had shared the “Angler” log cabin with Archie S., Jim C. and Evan M. I had the loft all to myself which made it easy for me to do my work in the early morning while the others slept downstairs. I am finding myself going to sleep early around 9 p.m. but then I am up by 2 a.m. So, it is from 2 a.m. until breakfast time that I get all my work done. This would include downloading the photos from the camera, the video from the Sony POV camera, the information from the Garmin GPS, writing this blog, checking up on office work, packing up my bag and getting my day pack ready.
The entire group devouring enormous quantities of food at breakfast as we burn over 6000 calories a day riding the roughly 100 miles on our bicycles.
We pedaled along the middle fork of the Clearwater River for a while and then along the Lochsa river. I learned about the elusive HarlequinDuck and also gathered more information about the Lewis and Clark expedition over 200 years ago. The hardships they faced traveling this rugged landscape, negotiating fast flowing streams and rivers, and how they overcame the obstacles along their path with cunning and ingenuity. It was here that for the first time on their 8,000 mile journey, they had to retreat because of deep snow and inability to locate the trail when they had traveled westwards.

There is a perfect reason why it is known as the Clearwater River. The water is pristine. You can very easily see the riverbed. There was a gradual uphill gradient as the road paralleled the river.

No wonder Althea G.P. looks so happy in this photo. Who would not enjoy a picnic lunch in such a serene setting? Also seen in this photo are Sandi M., Lori G., and Terry M. 
Larry S., Evan M., Warren H., and John S. relishing their picnic lunches and a well-deserved midday break. 
Someday, I would love to come back to this part of Idaho and spend more time enjoying it. 
Can anyone identify this contraption sitting on pontoons in the middle of the stream? The barrels were rotating. I could not see any electrical wires from it so it was definitely not meant for power generation. Again, notice the clear water!
The winding and long climb to Lolo pass came towards the end of the day which increased the effort for one and all. I soaked it every minute of today’s surroundings, took my time, took lots of pictures and video footage, and also brought up the rear.
Time to adjust the wristwatch and the clock on all the other gadgets that I have, and believe me, I have quite a few. I have now entered the Mountain Time Zone.
I do not know what to make of this welcome with a grizzly looking at me wanting to make me his next meal. I hope I do not run into one of them as I travel through the “big sky” state of Montana.


After climbing Lolo pass, I had sore leg muscles. BadgerBalm always comes to the rescue. It puts be back in the bicycle saddle day after day for more adventures. Do you ever have sore muscles? Then I want you to get yourself a can of Badger Balm from Campmor. Every time you use it, you will thank me, and you will be reminded of me. That way, I will stay in your memory forever. Disclaimer: I have not received any incentive from the makers of Badger Balm but my friend Bill O. at Campmor did send me some complimentary gear that I am using daily during the ride. If you are enjoying this blog, I want you to express your appreciation to Bill O. by checking out their newlydesigned website.

1 comment: